Sunday, May 17, 2009

wobbly but finished

finiiiiiished! phew
The lace scarf is done. No, it doesn't look like the picture in the magazine. Where others have successfully crocheted a border, I seem to have accidentally attached a hyperbolic plane to the outside of the scarf. The border was supposed to be straight, but mine ended up slightly ridiculously frilly. I think partly because I chose to use more laceweight to edge it, rather than 4 ply as the pattern suggested. A thicker yarn here may have provided more structural integrity. (I was too short on time to go shopping, and that was the best co-ordinating colour I could find in the yarn cupboard!). Also, fairly obviously, I put in far too many crochet stitches round the long sides of the scarf. Gah. I love crochet edgings but feel like I am standing at the bottom of a precipitous Learning Cliff, which I am inching up one crumbling fingerhold at a time.

Still, I don't really have time to redo it, so it'll have to remain in its current state of non-Euclidean geometry. I totally enjoyed doing this project - it was at all times engaging and absorbing and the lace pattern is lovely. With it being a fairly narrow scarf, it grows pretty quickly too. I even had time to make mine slightly longer than the pattern suggested, by about 10 cm. This makes it a nice wearable length I think, it's possible to wear it doubled and looped through with the crochet end bits showing. I may even make another one some time as I have enough of this laceweight left to knit a cosy for my house...




3 comments:

misplacedpom said...

Block to crap out of it and pull it straight! No one will ever know it was frilly :)

rubbishknitter said...

yeah, i tried that... even the sternest of blockings couldn't unfrill those frills... I just had flatter frills. Ah well. I've given it to her now, and filed it under Learning Experience.

Kathy said...

It's lovely! A very pretty color and pattern!